2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup hot water
2 cups heavy cream, whipped, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla
1/2 package chocolate pudding mix
1 1/4 cups butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups shortening
9 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
4–5 tbsp water/milk
- Prepare Two 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add vanilla to boiling water and add to the mixture. Mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between cakes pans and bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- whip heavy whipping cream, adding 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla.
- once whipped, pure in 1/2 package of chocolate pudding mix, until mixed well.
- Make frosting while cakes cool. Beat together butter and shortening until smooth.
- add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla and half of the water or milk and mix until smooth.
- Add another 5 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add cocoa and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining water or milk until the frosting is the right consistency.
Place the first layer of cake on a cake plate. Spread the filling on top in an even layer.
Add a second layer of cake and add frosting on the cake as desired.